Tuesday 10 March 2009

Live Blog: Waiting for the GE Repairman

As I have written in the past, I absolutely hate live blogs. They tend to be revolved around subjects or events that I, myself, can watch/experience simultaneously as the live blogger. Hence, with my ability to consider my opinions about such issues, and with the extensive analysis that typically follows such events, I find live blogs to be a complete waste of time. I never, however, considered the possible sanity issues involved in live blogging. If the live blogger were not blogging, would he/she simply go completely nuts? And this is why I will now live blog as I wait for the General Electric repairman to come over and attempt (for a second time) to fix my sister's dishwasher.

8:00 a.m. - Alarm goes off. I hit snooze.

8:06 a.m. - Alarm goes off. I hit snooze again.

8:12 a.m. - Alarm goes off. I hit snooze, but then role out of bed because my alarm clock only allows me to hit snooze twice before disabling the entire alarm function. The first and only time I tried hitting the alarm for a third time, I accidentally slept in a couple more hours. Luckily, I had not events planned for mentioned morning.

8:15 a.m. - Make oatmeal and coffee. I like my oatmeal made on the stove top. Half milk, half water, sliced banana, no sugar, no salt. I never understood people that put salt in their oatmeal. I understand the concept of needing to put salt in everything so as to "season" it, but I mean, c'mon, get off your high horse.

8:25 a.m. - Eat oatmeal and read the shockingly miserable news of the day. Not that any of the news outlets I typically consult over breakfast had especially terrifying news, but rather uninteresting news. The big story was a really cool looking U.S. Navy surveillance ship sailing into the Chinese economic zone. WW III? I highly doubt it.

8:55 a.m. - Chat via facebook with a woman I used to date who currently lives in Pre-Russia Soviet. I'm not sure which of the Stans she is in, but she's in one of them. Interesting back story here. While courting this woman during my undergraduate years, I was often derailed by her plans to hang out with another one of her female friends. It was always the same friend. Funny enough, a friend of mine was trying to court this friend that the girl I was trying to court kept on ditching me for. A conspiracy was then agreed upon. My friend and I were being used as decoys to prevent social judgement during this collegiate lesbian experimenting of the women in our lives. In retrospect, I doubt any of it was true. We were just less interesting than them.

9:10 a.m. - Wash dishes from breakfast. This was obviously done by hand since the dishwasher is broken. Have I mentioned that I'm waiting for the GE repairman to come fix the dishwasher? Yes, I am. I have to stay here between 8:00 a.m. till noon.

9:15 a.m. - Put wet clothes in the dryer. Last night I toyed with the washing machine for hours. Despite the washer's buzzer going off several times indicating a completed wash cycle, my sister's clothes remained in a pool of post-wash water. After hours of turning the dial in various directions (both clockwise, and counter clockwise - or anti-clockwise for those of you that choose to sound pretentious) I got the water the drain. I put the clothes (mostly sheets) in the dryer and turned the dial. It didn't turn on.

9:16 a.m. - I think about the consequences of asking the GE repairman to also take a look at the dryer. Will he charge me? Will it be some stupid problem that I should have been able to figure out? Is the door totally shut? Yeah, it's shut.

9:20 a.m. - I watch Heroes on my computer from nbc.com. I would have watched it last night, but it was on at the same time as 24. I would have recorded it last night on the box next to the TV that records TV shows, but I had to record 24 and you can only record one thing at once. I had to record 24 rather than watch it live, because my sister conveniently decided to eat dinner at 8:00 (the starting time of 24). She doesn't like the show, rather, she talks a lot while I watch the show. So I recorded it, and watched it after she was done eating. We watched Dancing With The Stars while she ate.

10:20 a.m. - I check my phone for the 5th time this morning to see if I've missed any calls for some reason. Despite my ringer being on really loudly, and having the phone with full reception sitting right next to me all morning, I decide it necessary to ensure no missed calls. Sure enough, I have missed no calls. Any unread texts in there? Nope. No unread texts. Time to check my e-mail for the 10th time.

10:21 a.m. - I check my e-mail for the 10th time of the morning. The previous 9 times were while doing other things I've already blogged about.

10:25 a.m. - I am awoken from a temporary catatonic stupor that has me staring out the hazy window to the west, toward the eventual sunset, by my phone ringing really loudly. It says restricted. I'm nervous. It's General Electric. The repairman will be here in 15 minutes.

10:25 a.m. - I tidy up. I take the paper goods out of the dishwasher so he doesn't think we're crazy. Since it's broken and we can't use it, we store paper towels, and dishtowels in the dishwasher. I'm not sure why, they were fine where they were before, and nothing has really taken their spots in their previous locations. Whatever.

10:33 a.m. - The door knocks. He's early. The repairman has arrived. I guess this means I'm done live blogging. Do you even care if he fixed the dishwasher?

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I have never enjoyed a live blog so much.

Also, I ate oatmeal this morning, too. But I did not encounter anyone from GE.

mag